Advancements in fertility care continue to make IVF treatment available to more and more women. The newest advancement is a technique known as In Vitro Maturation (IVM). The IVM procedure allows women who are at a high risk for OHSS to undergo IVF treatment safely and comfortably. Understanding IVM pros and cons can help you to make informed decisions during your fertility journey.
The In Vitro Maturation Procedure
In conventional In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) treatment, women are prescribed fertility medication to stimulate their ovaries to produce multiple eggs.Some women are extremely sensitive to fertility medication and develop OHSS, ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. OHSS is painful and can result in significant health issues.
When IVM is used, small doses of fertility medication are prescribed. Then, immature eggs are harvested and matured in a laboratory setting - in vitro. Once mature in vitro, the eggs are fertilized.
IVM Pros and Cons
As with all fertility treatment methods, there are pros and cons for IVM. In order to be successful, fertility treatment must be tailored to the specific needs of each couple. IVM will not be ideal for every couple’s needs and should be evaluated against other treatment options.
The pros of IVM treatment include:
- Being a gentler way to stimulate a woman’s ovaries
- Provides a way for women who are likely to develop OHSS to undergo IVF safely
- Being a viable option for couples who have male factor infertility
- The ability to do IVF with less discomfort due to side effects from fertility medication
The cons of IVM treatment include:
- The retrieval of fewer eggs because less fertility medication is used
- Not all immature eggs will mature in the lab, resulting in a smaller number of viable eggs for IVF treatment
- The process of IVM is relatively new, so historical success rates are not available
- Because IVM is a cutting edge procedure, not all fertility centers will offer this option
Preeminent IVM Treatment Provider
To receive more information about IVM pros and cons for your fertility needs, contact the experts New Hope Fertility Center. Please click the link below to enter your information and New Hope will contact you, or simply call 917.525.5496. Thank you.