In vitro fertilization treatment no longer requires the use of large doses of fertility medication. There are more holistic treatment options that provide a variety of choices for treatment. Among these is natural cycle IVF, which does not use any fertility medication. There are natural cycle IVF pros and cons to consider when evaluating your treatment options.
Natural Cycle IVF Explained
Natural cycle IVF takes an alternate approach to fertility care. Traditionally, the focus of IVF was to produce a large number of eggs. With a natural cycle, there is no focus on quantity. The only goal is to harvest the one egg your body produces naturally. Instead of stimulating the ovaries, a woman’s body is closely monitored using blood work and ultrasound. Then, once the naturally produced egg is mature, it is harvested during an outpatient procedure. The embryo that is created through this process is transferred directly into the mother’s uterus for implantation.
Natural Cycle IVF Pros
There are a number of advantages of a natural approach to IVF care:
- Natural cycle IVF can be used for women who do not respond well to fertility medication
- Natural cycle IVF does not require women to be able to produce multiple eggs during a cycle
- There is no need to wait between cycles
- Fresh embryo transfer may be used
- The cycle is more comfortable because there are no medication side effects
- This treatment method is well suited for older women
Natural Cycle IVF Cons
As with all fertility care, natural cycle IVF treatment is not well suited for everyone. Cons of this treatment method include:
- Natural IVF may only be used if a woman is ovulating without the assistance of fertility medication
- Typically, only one egg is produced per cycle, which may be an issue if there is low egg quality
To learn the natural cycle IVF pros and cons for your specific situation, contact New Hope Fertility Center. Please click the link below to enter your information and New Hope will contact you, or simply call 212-517-7676. Thank you.