There are a number of IVF protocols available today to address a number of concerns about fertility treatment. Minimal stimulation in vitro fertilization (Mini IVF) provides high success rates while using significantly less fertility medication. Knowing the benefits of a Mini IVF protocol can help you to make informed decisions when your fertility care team is developing your treatment plan.
Mini IVF Explained
The focus of a Mini IVF protocol is to produce a small number of high quality eggs. Egg quality can be achieved when small
amounts of fertility medication are used. The aim is to produce up to five eggs that are of a good quality and are well suited for fertilization. Mini IVF begins with the use of oral medication dosages tailored-based on a woman’s unique needs. Then, up to three dosages of injectable fertility medication are used as needed to stimulate multiple egg production. Throughout the Mini IVF process, the patient's egg production is closely monitored using both blood work and ultrasound. Once her eggs have matured, they are surgically retrieved. The eggs are then fertilized and a single embryo is transferred back into the uterus. Any surplus embryos may be frozen and stored for a subsequent Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET) cycle.
Benefits of Mini IVF
There are many benefits to the Mini IVF protocol, including:
- Less discomfort associated with the side effects of fertility medication, including injection site pain
- Producing high quality eggs that are well suited for fertilization
- Decreased likelihood of developing complications, including OHSS
- A treatment plan that is uniquely tailored to the specific needs of each individual
- A gentler treatment option that is available to those who want to limit the amount of fertility medication they take
- Reduced out of pocket cost due to decreased amounts of fertility medication
More Helpful Resources From The Fertility Experts
Contact the Fertility Experts at New Hope Fertility Center if you’re struggling with infertility.
It is important to work with a fertility care team that understands which treatment methods are best for you, considering your specific medical issues. Personalized treatment plans offer the highest success rates and the best overall patient satisfaction.