This cutting-edge technology – NICS – detects most chromosomal deficiencies in embryos – aneuploidy – an extra or missing chromosome. Non-Invasive Chromosomal Screening (NICS) is an innovative and non-invasive genetic testing method used to detect chromosomal abnormalities in embryos culturing in vitro. NICS increases IVF and FET pregnancy success rates by up to 30%.
The development of NICS methodology at New Hope Fertility Center marks a huge and truly a momentous achievement. We are now one of only a handful of centers around the world offering a validated and accurate platform for analyzing embryologic DNA in a completely non-invasive fashion.
- Oocyte – egg retrieval
- ICSI – Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection
- Day 5 or 6 Blastocyst – development of embryo in vitro culture
- Culture Medium Collection – no intrusion on embryo
- NICS Sample Preparation
- Next Generation Sequencing
- Result Reporting
NICS is an in vitro evaluation of the efficacy of a single-embryo transfer at the Blastocyst Stage (5 to 6 days development in vitro). NICS is the sequencing of free genomic DNA in the culture medium of individual blastocysts and obtaining chromosomal ploidy information.
When abnormal embryos detected using NICS, they are discarded. Only quality embryos are transferred to the mother’s uterus – or – frozen (cryopreserved) for future FETs.
- NICS does not require an embryo biopsy (extraction of cells)
- NICS is non-invasive procedure because a small sample of culture media surrounding the embryo is extracted for testing
- NICS causes little to no stress on the embryo as it develops in vitro
Advantages of NICS Procedure
- Less embryo manipulation
- Culture media is processed on site (no transportation concerns)
- Avoids disruptive embryo biopsies which have been recently shown to increase the risk of preeclampsia and placental problems in pregnancy
Other Benefits of NICS
Other benefits of NICS in conjunction with IVF include:
- Improved birth rates of healthy babies
- Gender identification and selection
Candidates for NICS
- Any woman desiring prenatal genetic screening to rule out Down's Syndrome or other syndromes
- Women desiring to lower the risk of a miscarriage
- Recurrent pregnancy loss (2 or more miscarriages)
- Recurrent implantation failure (multiple failed embryo transfers)
NICS Can Increase IVF Pregnancy Success Rate Up To 30 Percent!
State-of-the-art genetics technologies have proven to increase IVF pregnancy rates. Through the medical marvel of NICS in conjunction with IVF, genetic and chromosomal abnormalities can be detected in embryos.
- Only high quality embryos are transferred to the patient’s uterus
- Only high quality embryos are cryopreserved for future FET procedures
Aging and Embryo Quality
As a woman advances in age, the chance for low quality embryos increases.
Low quality embryos result in:
- Low pregnancy success rates
- High miscarriage rates
- High chance for birth defects
NICS Methodology in Conjunction with IVF
The fertility specialists at New Hope Fertility Center offer the highest success rates and best overall patient satisfaction by using NICS methodology in conjunction with IVF. To schedule your initial consultation click the ICON below – or – call 212.969.7422.