Acupuncture in conjunction with In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) has been proven by studies to increase a woman’s chances of getting pregnant by up to 50 percent! National Institutes of Health research has shown a direct correlation between acupuncture and pregnancy. Why is this important? Because New Hope Fertility NYC has incorporated an in-house acupuncture service as an integral part of our all-encompassing infertility treatment options. Bottom line: Acupuncture is a useful tool during the practice of the vast array of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) procedures offered at New Hope Fertility NYC.
Acupuncture Increases Pregnancy Success
Acupuncture is the holistic practice of inserting ultra-thin, sterile needles into the body’s specific trigger points serving as meridians to a woman’s reproductive system. The insertion of needles into one’s reproductive trigger points through specific channels serves to regulate the body’s functions.
What’s the real story? This remarkable Chinese medicine has been used in conjunction with Western medicine for centuries. According to the American Pregnancy Association, acupuncture helps increase a woman’s fertility by alleviating medical conditions preventing her from getting pregnant.
Look: Acupuncture . . .
- Reduces patient stress and produces a calming effect during infertility treatment
- Reduces uterine spasms after embryo transfer
- Improves clarity and overall whole body wellness during infertility treatment
- Improves egg quality – FSH level
- Improves embryo implantation – conception – success
- Reduces chance of miscarriage
Our acupuncture practitioners are skilled in determining a patient’s individual medical challenges in overcoming infertility.
Infertility Conditions Treated by Acupuncture
- Amenorrhea – lack of a menstrual period
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Luteal phase defect
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Decreased ovarian reserve
- Elevated Follicle-Stimulating Hormone (FSH) Level
- Uterine fibroids
- Ovarian cysts
- Immunological fertility factors – autoimmune disorders
- Unexplained – idiopathic – infertility
- Male factor infertility
IVF Support – Up to 50 Percent Increase in Pregnancy Success
Acupuncture in conjunction with IVF treatment increases pregnancy success rates by increasing blood flow to the ovaries during the egg follicle stimulation phase. Acupuncture also helps to increase blood flow necessary to thicken the uterine lining in preparation for embryo implantation.
Acupuncture Therapy Basics
Acupuncture points are located on meridians through which gi vital energy runs. The procedure involves the insertion of very thin needles through the patient’s skin in targeted areas of the head, torso, limbs, and extremities. These needles are inserted at various depths, depending upon the patient’s diagnosed cause of infertility.
A healthy body is the result of a harmonious balance of the life force known by traditional Chinese medicine as gi or chi – energies flowing through pathways within the body. There are 350 acupuncture points in the human body. The body’s energy pathways are accessed through the insertion of small, thin needles in targeted areas of discomfort to release or redirect the body’s energy. Through acupuncture therapy, the body is brought back into its proper balance.
The acupuncture points chosen for treatment of female infertility result in:
- Better blood perfusion and energy in the uterus
- Relaxation of the patient
- Stabilization of the endocrine system
The IVF Embryo Transfer Acupuncture Plan
Acupuncture can begin at any time during your fertility treatment – but this is the best plan of action:
- Plan an acupuncture treatment on the morning of your transfer
- Plan another in the afternoon following your transfer
- Book an acupuncture session five days after your transfer
- Book a follow up acupuncture session 5 to 7 days later
Beginning acupuncture therapy before you start a fertility drug regimen will help to prepare your body for the physical stress it is about to undergo. Turning to acupuncture during your fertility drug regimen will help you cope with unpleasant side effects:
Acupuncture and IVF Can Help You Get Pregnant
The fertility specialists at New Hope Fertility NYC want to do everything possible to treat your infertility. Whether you are exploring IVF – or a less invasive procedure – it is important to work with a fertility care team having the experience to accurately diagnose the underlying cause of your infertility. Then, a customized fertility treatment plan meeting your medical and personal needs can be designed specifically for you.
To schedule your initial consultation – call 917.525.5496.