If you have been diagnosed with a constantly thin endometrial lining, please know there is hope for treatment so that you can finally get pregnant. An accurate diagnosis of why your endometrial lining remains constantly thin is key to overcoming this medical condition. A customized In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) treatment protocol can effectively treat your constantly thin endometrial lining and improve your chances of pregnancy.
A Thin Endometrial Lining – What Does This Mean?
During an IVF cycle, your endometrial lining is routinely measured for thickness through vaginal ultrasounds. An endometrial thickness of 8 mm or greater is considered adequate for successful embryo implantation. Poor endometrial lining thickness is commonly the root cause of infertility for women having multiple unexplained IVF failures. A thin endometrial lining is also routinely the diagnosis for women experiencing recurrent miscarriages.
Women having a history of using birth control pills for 10 years or longer are prone to having a thin endometrial lining. The use of Clomid while undergoing multiple cycles of Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) in a row may contribute to a constantly thin endometrial lining. Pregnancy and live birth success rates rise substantially with increased endometrial thickness – independent of patient age and embryo quality factors.
- Embryo implantation rates are highest when the endometrial lining has a thickness of 9 mm or greater
- A constantly thin endometrial lining – 7 mm or less – is cause for concern of a potential failed IVF cycle
- Less than 5 mm – there is almost no chance of a pregnancy
Treatment for Unexplained Thin Endometrial Lining
What is the bottom line for unexplained constantly thin endometrial lining treatment? Estrogen treatment supplemented with Viagra.
- Estrogen Treatment. During a typical IVF cycle, I recommend additional estrogen treatment in the form of progesterone vaginal suppositories and/or injections to thicken the uterine lining in preparation for embryo implantation after transfer. Estrogen supplementation improves the overall endometrial lining thickness and increases the chances of a successful IVF pregnancy outcome.
- Viagra Treatment. Studies have shown that Viagra (Sildenafil) increases blood flow to the uterus – similar to how it increases penile blood flow in men suffering from erectile dysfunction. The increase in blood flow uterus is hoped to deliver more estrogen to the uterine lining. Viagra vaginal suppositories may be prescribed when the endometrial lining is constantly thin despite estrogen treatment.
Constantly Thin Endometrial Lining Due to Specific Medical Factors
A constantly thin endometrial lining can also be attributable to one of the following specific medical circumstances:
- Endometritis – chronic infection of the endometrial cells
- Intrauterine Adhesions and Pathology (Fibroids or Polyps)
- Clomiphene Citrate – Clomid, Serophene
Endometriosis – chronic infection of the endometrial cells
When an infection of the uterine lining is suspected – endometritis – a diagnosis is confirmed through:
- A biopsy documenting a chronic inflammation, or
- A bacterial culture
A diagnosis of endometriosis calls for antibiotic treatment using a multi-drug approach for 7 to 10 days to eliminate the chronic inflammation of the endometrial lining. This antibiotic treatment regimen will allow patients to resume IVF treatment after one menstrual cycle.
Intrauterine Adhesions and Pathology (Fibroids or Polyps)
Intrauterine adhesions – scar tissue – and fibroids or polyps are conditions preventing an embryo from implanting in the uterus.
Intrauterine adhesions result from:
- Prior uterine infections
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Multiple uterine surgical procedures
- Prior termination of pregnancy
- Postpartum curettage of uterine cavity
Common female surgical procedures performed at New Hope Fertility NYC will correct an endometrial lining that is constantly thin.
- Diagnosis and treatment of adhesions through laparoscopy will substantially increase your chance of pregnancy
- Diagnosis and treatment of fibroids or polyps through hysteroscopy will substantially increase your chance of pregnancy
Women Using Clomiphene Citrate – Clomid, Serophene
Women using Clomid can suffer from a thin endometrial lining. Clomid is a fertility medication that acts as an anti-estrogen at the level of the uterus. Alternatively, injectable FSH medications in addition to estrogen supplements are recommended. These injectable FSH medication regimens result in high pregnancy rates with successful ovulation the majority of the time.
Customized Infertility Treatment Plan
It is important to work with a fertility care team having a thorough understanding of the root cause of your infertility.
Only customized infertility treatment plans:
- Offer the highest chances of pregnancy
- Are the most cost-effective
- Produce the best overall patient satisfaction
To schedule your initial consultation at New Hope Fertility Center, click the icon below – or – call 917.525.5496.