Through Conventional IVF and state-of-the-art egg freezing technology, women diagnosed with cancer can benefit from oocyte cryopreservation. Before a woman undergoes cancer treatment, she can have her young, healthy, quality eggs frozen for future fertilization and transfer to her uterus. Pregnancy success rates using a woman’s egg that has been cryopreserved are comparable to success using a fresh egg.
Egg Freezing Process
The egg freezing process begins with the woman undergoing ovarian reserve testing.
- Assessment of AMH levels in the blood (Anti-Mullerian hormone)
- Clomid Challenge Test – Assessment of FSH levels in the blood
- Ovarian Volume Assessment – Assessment of the size of the ovaries
- Antral Follicle Count – Counting follicles seen via ultrasound to predict ovarian reserve
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
Egg freezing is accomplished through a fresh IVF cycle, stopping short of egg fertilization in vitro.
- Stimulation of a woman’s ovaries using fertility drugs to produce several egg follicles during one IVF cycle
- Harvesting of eggs from the woman’s ovaries through surgical retrieval
- Preparation and freezing of the eggs for preservation through a process known as vitrification
- The rapid-freezing technique of vitrification makes it possible to freeze eggs quickly so that ice crystals do not form between cells
- Freezing tanks and storage for the eggs are on premises at Global Fertility & Genetics
When the woman is ready to start building her family, the egg freezing process continues.
- Her eggs are thawed and fertilized in vitro by injecting a single sperm cell into a single egg – Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
- The resulting embryos are cultured in vitro for up to 5 days (blastocyst stage)
- A predetermined number of quality embryos are transferred into the woman’s uterus for implantation into the uterine lining to achieve pregnancy
- Progesterone is prescribed daily via suppository to help prepare the woman’s uterine lining for implantation of the fertilized egg – the embryo
- A pregnancy test is scheduled on a date prescribed by the doctor through a blood draw
Egg Freezing Experts
Don’t delay your future planning options if you have been diagnosed with cancer and are facing treatment. Contact New Hope Fertility NYC if you’re considering preserving your eggs for the future. It is important to work with a fertility care team understanding which IVF treatment protocol is best for you as an individual. Customized IVF care at New Hope Fertility NYC offers the highest success rates and best overall patient satisfaction.
For common questions about egg freezing click here.